Friday, September 08, 2006

I Thought JeepYak Was Good!

Hello everybody and welcome back to Riveryak, my favorite place on the internet. I always thought I would never find a replacement for hauling kayaks once JeepYak was gone. The flexibility of the soft top molded perfectly to every hull ever strapped to it, virtually eliminating the need for lateral tie downs or a rack. And the windshield tie down loop on the hood made a perfect anchor for bow straps. This method was tried and true and never failed me. I thought it was the perfect way to haul kayaks, until I got this:


Holy crap can this thing haul a yak! That is a Yakima roof rack with Yakima's Hull Raiser kayak carrying system. Here is a better view of the J-hook design Hull Raiser:


The straps on the bow and stern are really not necessary. When the J-hooks' straps are cinched down, they hold the kayak like Hulk Hogan holding an opponent in the Rolling Crucifix Armbar. Without the bow and stern tied down, I shook the kayak hard and it moved the whole car! Yakima recommends securing the bow and stern, so I do.

I'll leave you today with a couple of more pictures of the kayak secured to the car. I took closer pictures of the J-hooks, but they didn't turn out. My camera is in here somewhere, but I don't know where. I borrowed my brother in laws camera to take these photos. It's one of those tiny creations that is designed to fit in your pocket. It's also the right size for my fingers to be in the lens if I hold it like a normal sized camera.




















Fair winds and following seas!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

pocket size for cameras is also the right size to get stepped on when the camera is left in the pants and the pants are left on the floor (a+j) or it is also the size for me (aka butterfingers) to drop that junk to the murky depths! lol.

RiverYak said...

It's funny you should mention "the murky depths". You must be my wife, because the camera I normally use (that is currently lost) is missing the original rechargeable battery. I dropped the camera once (that is another story of its own), breaking the lid that holds the battery in. Being a thrifty person, I used tape to hold the battery in. One day, the tape failed me just as I was getting off a boat onto a dock. With one leg in the boat and one on the dock, the $50 rechargeable batttery fell out of the camera and took a trip to Davy Jones' Locker between the boat and the dock. Oops.