Monday, September 04, 2006

Crocodile Hunter Dies

Today Steve Irwin, commonly known as the Crocodile Hunter, was killed after being stung in the chest by a stingray. His death is going to be felt hard by the Australian conservation effort. It was Steve Irwin that made us begin to realize that we can interfere with nature in order to save a creature because it is us, as humans, that are causing so many animals to die. Irwin also successfully stopped the Australian Government from allowing wealthy tourists to hunt crocodiles (Damn wealthy tourists and their big guns). Without his intervention, who will step up to the plate?

Read the story from The New York Times (Reuters) and MSN (AP).

Personal Crocodile Hunter moment:
Sitting up at night when stationed in Juneau, AK (Coast Guard moment) watching Croc Hunter marathons and saying "Crikey" all the time.

Personal Crocodile Hunter bullshit moment:
The flack he caught for carrying his infant son into a croc cage during feeding time (the croc's feeding time, not the baby's). It's his kid. As far as I'm concerned, it's none of my concern. This little Kodak moment earned his show a cancellation from Animal Planet, by the way.



Fair winds and following seas, Crocodile Hunter. Crikey!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I wasn't the only one sad about The Crocodile Hunter. I've been on the same page as you only when I read about it, I got a little choked up about it. Wish my folks had taken me to feed crocs. Wish my old man had a clue about wildlife...A good one's gone...