Tuesday, October 17, 2006

What's Going On?

I guess I should consider myself lucky to have the one affiliate that I have. In the past couple of weeks, I have been turned down by two other companies. Do I suck that bad? My failures have made me fall even more in love with Backcountry.com for being so generous. Now if I can just win the Goat Sighting contest! Click on the banner to see what that means (I don't get paid for clicks, so click away). Scroll down and click on the Backcountry.com Blog link. There you will find all the info about Goat Sightings and why I stuck one of their stickers on my kayak for C.R.A.K.

The last few weeks have proven to me that in order to be a successful kayaking blogger, one needs a car in order to get a kayak to the river. Granted, I no longer have a car payment (since selling JeepYak), but I also no longer have a way to get my boat to the water. Yes, I do have the Honda. But, that is actually my wife's car, and she won't skip school or work to let me use it. I could kayak in the back yard and blog about that, but I don't think you would enjoy reading about a guy dodging dog turds in his backyard. Even if it does involve a kayak. There must be a cabby out there somewhere with a roofrack on his taxi.<--- Ooooo, I might be onto something with that one!

Here is a compilation of what I believe is needed in order for me to become a better blogging kayaker, and what those items cost:

  1. A new computer. The current model is old and beginning to show signs of wear and tear. Plus, my wife has outgrown this one with her school work. $2000
  2. A car. I like the Scion xA<---not a typo. It is inexpensive (as far as cars go), gets excellent fuel mileage, and I can see over the roof, which makes me feel taller and loading kayaks will be much easier. $15,000 plus insurance, tax, title, license and inspection. Yuck.
  3. A 10 mega pixel digital camera with interchangeable lenses and speed shooting capabilities. $1000
  4. An expensive video camera that will make me look like I know what I'm doing while carrying it around. $2000
  5. A sponsor: Priceless.
That's $20,000 so far! Looks like you people better buy a bunch of t-shirts, otherwise this blog is going to hell. And the Devil isn't happy about me coming, either.

I have a trip in mind that I would like to take, but it will be next Spring or Summer before that unfolds. In the meantime, I need another trip. Something within 200 miles of Charlottesville that I can complete in a few days. I have considered the Great Dismal Swamp, mainly because it has a cool name, but camping is only allowed in one area. That greatly inhibits any RiverYak style exploring. The New River would probably be cool, but I don't know anything about it.

So, I have a proposition for anybody reading this. Whether you are the one devoted reader I have, or you just stumbled across here on accident, suggest a trip that I should take. If I accept your trip, I will give you a RiverYak T-shirt. Stop laughing, it's all I have! I'm a desperate kayaker who needs to get back on the water. To encourage replies to this post, I will give you a sticker just for making a suggestion. You simply can not beat a deal like this!

Rack your brains and come up with your best. Just remember, it needs to be no more than 200 miles from Charlottesville and should take at least two days, if not more, to complete.



Fair winds and following seas...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You could catch a south wind & paddle to Texas. I would load your boat with your previous hobby items. Hockey!! "shirts, sticks, pucks, skates, mitts, face mask, helmets, more shirts, more sticks, more pucks, etc. Luv Mom.