Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Edge of Your Seat Suspense...

So this is what has been up lately. I went to Richmond last Saturday to get some more time on the James River with B.I.L. The kayak never left its perch on the roof of the car. We both decided we were too tired for all that business, and we have seen it before. So we took a walk along the river and watched some rafters and a couple of kayaks take on the flooded conditions around Belle Isle. From an observation point at Washington cemetery, where we saw an ex-presidents final resting place, we watched the torrential James as millions of gallons of water poured over the rocks. We looked for lines that seemed safe enough for us to follow with our kayaks loaded down with four days of trash and doo-doo only to have those plans change once again when we stood on the banks and watched 4 to 6 foot standing waves alter the routes. Eventually, we did decide on a safe route where the water wasn't flirting with class 5 action. Hopefully, we will be ok. The recent rains have really swelled the river like an anaphylactic bee sting.

We took some leisure time to drink beer and finish the chart work. Assuming the beer did not hinder my charting skills, we figure it will be almost 90 miles from Charlottesville to Richmond. After a passive look at each other with a brief pause and a couple chugs of beer, we said, "Let's do it".

Our plan right now is to leave on Monday morning of the 18th after I get off work. Keep in mind I work 12 hour night shifts. I also work Saturday night, and Friday night. I'm hardy though. We can do this. B.I.L. has all the gear we need. He even scored a sleeping bag and a mat for me! A couple more dry bags and some food and water and we should be set to go. Oh, except I lost my camera! Still haven't found that pesky thing. I am starting to wonder if Jeepyak has it at its new home...

The river levels are holding steady and are only up a few feet. Perfect conditions for a trip like this. The faster water will mean more miles covered in a day of paddling. We need to cover lots of miles every day in order to do this before my anniversary on the 21st. Also, the hurricanes, that's right, hurricanes, don't seem to be a threat to C.R.A.K. Weather.com is predicting sunny, warm days and clear, cool nights during the trip. Good camping weather.

We now have the plot, and the antagonists are being introduced. I don't have a camera. We are leaving after a long weekend of work and no sleep for me, and my anniversary is the deadline, only three days from the day we leave. And we think it will take four days to complete. Ooooo, I love a good story with loads of suspense. Will Riveryak be able to make the required mileage the first day? Will his camera be found before they leave? Will he make it home before his anniversary so he doesn't end up divorced? Will Riveryak crash his kayak on the last day and be covered in his own buckets of doo-doo? Stay tuned for these and other exciting adventures with Riveryak and B.I.L.!

1 comment:

RiverYak said...

"Would the wife be mad if you weren't back by the 21st?"

She's shaking her head, "Yes". Can I stay with you if I don't make it back by the 21st? She's gonna take everything, so I won't have any money. And B.I.L. won't be any help because he's married to her sister...

Alfred Hitchcock is rolling in his grave saying, "Why didn't I think of this one?" Soooo suspensfull!