Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Blogs Pot

Something I didn't think about when I ordered the charts directly from the USGS; they are coming from the U.S. Government. After working for that outfit for five years, you'd think I would have learned my lesson about dealing with them if I wanted something done in a timely fashion. Still no freakin charts. The confirmation email said they were shipped on the 3rd. I guess I missed the part about them being sent Pony Express. If you haven't figured this out for yourself, let me enlighten you. The federal government drags their heels on everything they do. Nothing gets rushed, even if it is marked "rush".

The weather looked pretty frightening all day, to say the least. Needless to say, I didn't go kayaking. Again. It's been so long since I've been in the water, my butt has almost quit hurting from the last trip. Instead, I went out today to find some quality paper to print stickers on. There is no such thing. I haven't searched for any paper on the internet, but I think I am going to break down and have a shop print the stickers. Might as well get it done right.

Since I couldn't find any sticker paper that was worth wiping my butt with, I made an impulse buy and got those crappy black letters that never go on straight. You know what I'm talking about...The "customize your cars back window with your name, Oklahoma style," stickers. Yeah, there you go! Those!

I customized my kayak real good today with those stickers. I wrote the riveryak URL on the starboard bow with them. It actually looks ok. An observer on the river bank might not even notice how crappy it is. After I completed the job, I was standing back admiring my handiwork and thinking about how much money I saved by doing it myself and my brother-in-law, make that my wife's smart ass brother-in-law asked, "What is blogs pot?" I may have left a slightly larger gap between the S and P, but it is only slightly and does not say "blogs pot". See for yourself:

Now the secret behind those letters. Remember, you heard it here, first. The first W is actually an upside down M because there were only two Ws in the kit. Assholes. The first O is a 0(zero) because there were only two Os in the kit. I used Elmer's Stix-All to coat over the letter's to give them a waterproof seal (hopefully). The Elmer's should work. It isn't that white stuff you used to eat as a kid. This stuff made me sneeze when I opened it. Clear finger nail polish is supposed to work, but haven't you seen how that stuff flakes off women's fingernails? I was looking for something a little more permanent. Plus, Stix-All says it is dishwasher safe, you know, just in case.

Fair winds and following seas,
I'll let you know when the charts come in.

No comments: